Saturday, August 23, 2008

Harvest Time

We really had a pathetic garden this year. I could use the excuse of having a baby this spring, but I know plenty of people who have new babies and still make time for the garden. Aliysa did do a wonderful small garden for herself, but I had really been wishing that we had planted more than just tomato plants for our family garden. So, I prayed that if anyone had any excess produce, they might think of us. Well, that prayer was certainly answered, I just didn't know it would all come within two days!

The picture above is produce from our friends, the Partridges. They brought it to our doorstep exclaiming "Partridge Produce!" They gave us a ton of produce, which we are enjoying so much. They also brought an entire box of apples which we are in the process of preserving.

Zucchini from our friends, the Calls. Bob also brought home an entire box of bananas that was on sale for $7 at the grocery store. Yesterday I made 11 loaves of zucchini-banana bread. Yum!

The kids and I picked raspberries at my friend, Jamie Bradley's home. We enjoyed them with fresh cream and a bit of sucanat. While many hands made light work of the picking (we picked these all so fast), it is also true that many mouths make the berries disappear even faster.
Aliysa and Jace are wet in the picture because they jumped in the river on the way home from berry picking.

A couple of days later Jamie called again to say that her freezer had stopped working the night before and all the raspberries she had picked had thawed. She didn't have time to make them into jam, so she was wondering if we could please come get them so they didn't go to waste. Wow! We all ate bowlfuls of vanilla yogurt mixed with berries, and still had bags of berries left.
Aliysa and I stayed up late and made honey-sweetened raspberry freezer syrup. I decided I didn't want the seeds in it, so we strained all the seeds out. That was a lot of work! But it is worth it, it is so yummy! We took some, along with zucchini-banana bread, to Jamie to thank her.


Our apples aren't ready yet, but our trees are loaded. I've told the little boys that they may not pick any off the tree yet, but if they find any on the ground, and bring them inside to ask me, they may eat them. They love running outside to check for apples on the ground.


The cornfield just around the corner is harvesting their corn, and selling it right as they pick it. Yum! Here are the boys shucking it for us. (Yes, I think they have lived in their swimsuits this summer!)

What a fun time of year!

2 comments:

LisaLou said...

Andrew is growing up fast. He looks so cute in the picture next to the berry bowl! All the other kids look cute too. Looks like this summer has been a good one!

Ahren said...

All your children are just adorable! I thought that picture of Andrew and Zach is so cute (they're still young enough that I can say cute right?)
Aliysa is so grown up and so beautiful. What a super neat family you are raising. We wish we could come visit you all.
I love homemade jam, it is the best!