Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Courtney's Happiest Day

I am sad to say that a certain 3- year old boy recently dropped my camera and it will not work. So, the pictures of this event, and many others (like Christmas) are not available at the moment. I do have a digital camera that has one broken switch that I'll try to use to take pictures in the next little while.

Courtney recently got her ears pierced. I told her she had to be 12 years old, or finish her 6th grade math program. I don't usually bribe for schoolwork, but it worked quite well in this case.

I'm going to quote from her journal, because it is so cute:

"12-23-09 Math
Today I got my ears pierced! It is the happiest day of my life, (so far) & there's two days until Christmas! I had a goal to get my ears pierced by Christmas, it was 5 days until then, and I had 35 lessons left.

Well, the day before yesterday I did 8 lessons! 11 was my record. I had to get them pierced the day before Christmas Eve because the store would be closed then. I wanted them pierced by Christmas. I had no hope. I thought I would have to set my goal for New Years day. BUT, the next day, I did 25 LESSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had 3 lessons left and I did them today! So I did it & got them pierced today!"

It was interesting to see how she progressed in math. Earlier, she would get boggled if she would try to do 3 or 4 lessons in a day. (My children are assigned 1 or 2 a day) Each lesson has a lecture, practice problems, and then about 25 problems to solve.

After she did 11 lessons in a day, her mind seemed to learn to process math more and more quickly. She would fly through the lessons, and she usually gets 95-100% on each lesson. I guess it makes sense that if you are training yourself to solve problems, you will naturally get quicker and quicker at processing math facts.

Her concentration level is what really improved dramatically, though. The day before she got them pierced, she woke up before 6am, did all her morning chores, and was doing math when we got up at 6:00. We let her do it all day long, just pausing to eat, and do kitchen jobs, etc. When she needed a break, she would get up and do handstands or cartwheels, and then get back to math. I watched her doing a handstand in our kitchen as she listened to and watched one of the lectures. I don't know how well that would have gone over at public school :)

One of my main problems with extrinsic rewards is that they can often remove the instrinsic joy of completing a task. I've written on our homeschool blog about how this happens. But the goal of getting her ears pierced didn't do that in this case. Instead she says that she loves math and wants to see how quickly she can get to calculus. She is confident with her ability to do hard things in math, and that makes me quite happy. I better get her next level installed on our computer now!

1 comment:

Dan and Anne said...

Way to go Courtney!! That is amazing that she had the desire and dicipline to complete so many lessons so quickly.