Thursday, October 13, 2011

The End of Spud's Season


Bob & Spencer's team only lost 1 game this season.  What a great team they had. 

 Bob and his assistant coaches were amazing.  I really mean that.  The whole team learned lessons that will last a lot longer than the football season. 


Spencer is #11

Sideline Games


Adoring Fans



Halftime pep talks

This is a picture of their first (& last) playoff game.  It was pouring rain the entire game, so I didn't dare get the camera out much. 

I wish I had a picture of Andrew.  All of our girls watched the game from inside our van, but Andrew and Zach came with me to sit in the rain on the sidelines.  At first, they were wrapped in blankets, but then the blankets got wet, and Andrew wanted to stand up to watch.  I looked over at him, dripping wet, with red little hands.  I asked him if he wanted to go sit in the van.  It took a second before he'd take his attention from the game enough to notice that I was speaking.  He shook his head.  "Are you cold?" I asked.  Another blank stare, and a head shake.  "Do you want to wrap up in your blanket?".  Head shake.  I don't think that boy lets himself feel pain or discomfort, especially when there's a game to watch.  (A little like his Dad, perhaps?)

After they lost, Bob had probably the finest coaching moment ever.  The boys were a little bit discouraged, having lost in a rainy, sleety game.  He talked to them and started listing all the highlights of the game.  He told them he didn't want them thinking about the score, he wanted them thinking about when "so and so" did (fill in the blank).  Each time he mentioned a highlight, the boys all cheered.  Then each of the other coaches took a turn talking to the boys.  What a great group of coaches.  Everyone left feeling great, and excited for next year.

4 comments:

Gaylene and Emil said...

Way to go Bob and Spencer! ...and all the supportive fans!

Tara said...

How fun.

tracy said...

We should have come to a game! Silly us!

Elder & Sister Lamoreaux said...

It was fun to watch in person. And Spud did great. So did Bob.