We've been doing this...
...all to create delicious produce to feed...
these little dears.
They come in our garden and mow it down, row by row. Huge cucumber plants? Munched down to nothing. Rows of pea plants just beginning to produce well? Decimated. 8 pepper plants? Chewed to nothing. Beet tops? Swiss chard? Lettuce? Squash plants? Gone.
They haven't touched the potato plants. Yeay (we can buy potatoes for cheap here in good old I-Dee-ho. Last year we bought 400 lbs of potatoes for $20. No kidding. So having our own potatoes is nice, but not a huge money saver.)
They also haven't eaten any of the giant sunflowers. What a crop we have of those!
Strangely they didn't eat the green bean plants. Or the onions for that matter.
Still!
Argh.
I think we ought to purchase a hunting license. That way we could at least get some food for all our hard effort - healthy organic produce fed deer meat.
They come in our garden and mow it down, row by row. Huge cucumber plants? Munched down to nothing. Rows of pea plants just beginning to produce well? Decimated. 8 pepper plants? Chewed to nothing. Beet tops? Swiss chard? Lettuce? Squash plants? Gone.
They haven't touched the potato plants. Yeay (we can buy potatoes for cheap here in good old I-Dee-ho. Last year we bought 400 lbs of potatoes for $20. No kidding. So having our own potatoes is nice, but not a huge money saver.)
They also haven't eaten any of the giant sunflowers. What a crop we have of those!
Strangely they didn't eat the green bean plants. Or the onions for that matter.
Still!
Argh.
I think we ought to purchase a hunting license. That way we could at least get some food for all our hard effort - healthy organic produce fed deer meat.
We've put up a fishing line fence around both garden areas,
and we might purchase a couple of these:
But I don't want to spend more money on our garden this year!
Anyone have some 10 foot high fencing that's just sitting around their yard?


6 comments:
Tash, that is so sad!!! Your garden looks huge! Looks like you put A TON of work into it. Those little stinkers.. I totally think you need to buy a hunting license.
So frustrating! But a little bit funny. Thanks for making me smile. The garden looked great, by the way, before the deer enjoyed it.
We were actually driving by your house last night and saw a deer. I'm so sorry that all your hard work has been for nothing. I wish you luck. I think Clint is very jealous because he would love to shoot some deer.
Oh, I know we'd never really be able to shoot one of these deer - we love living in a place with deer, moose, and all the other wildlife. And we still have a fair amount of our garden left.
TaNelle- thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you are enjoying your new place! Abby still talks about your daughter often.
Thanks for the posting. We have heard tell that deer don't like the smell of human hair but we don't know how true it is. Any barbers near by, spread it around the garden? We love your pics and posts. It is so good to see how big the kids are getting and what the family is doing. Keep it up. Love, Mom & Dad
Post a Comment