Friday, July 1, 2011

The Hearts of The Children


Grandma Hahn told stories of our ancestors who crossed the plains in the handcart company.   We all were touched by the sacrifices they made for the gospel.  How we hope we can all be as strong and valiant as they were. 

This is one of the stories shared about our great, great...grandpa Housley in his own words.  (Our Mallory Emma is named after his daughter, Emma):

"Receivers were sent out from the Valley to assist us in and could not find us, thinking we were lost on the plains, the rescue party concluded to return to the valley.  But one of their number stated that he would go to the States but what he would find us.

About noon a horseman was seen coming into our camp, and he looked like an angel to us poor starving emigrants who had eaten nothing but flour for three days.  With words of encouragement, he entreated us to make another start.  But many, while their will was good, their strength failed them and they dropped and froze to death by the way.

The relief party returned and met us and assisted us with some provisions.  But scores of our brethren and sisters died and were left in unmarked graves by the wayside.  At this time I was permitted to sleep in a tent with two of my companions.  Each of them dying by my side where I slept by them 'til morning with they were taken away and buried...

At the time of my companions' death I became despondent through weakness and I longed for death and tried to hide myself from the company that I might die, but one of the brethren returning back for something, found me sitting behind the rock where I had hoped to die.  He took me along with him for a day before we caught up with the company.  I was permitted to sleep in a wagon that night, where I slept with a dead man all night.

The next day we were permitted to see and enter into the valley.  Although I was too weak to walk, my feet being much swollen, I wrapped them in my mother's shawl until we were taken care of by kind friends who were awaiting us.  But brother Slack, our kind friend, would not allow me only a limited amount of bread as he was afraid it would kill me.  ...After they had gone to meeting I finished up the whole pot pie which had been prepared for the family, and I am alive yet and I have been hungry to this day."

We have such an easy life, don't we?

1 comment:

Tara said...

Skype will have to do until the next family reunion. That was so fun...the reunion and skype.