January 1, 2013
I just got home from a mile and a half walk outside. It wasn't exactly a zippy walk, but I was happy to have the energy to go outside. I was bundled in thermals, and wearing the YakTrax that Bob got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was so beautiful. Walking outside clears my mind and calms my soul. I saw rabbit and deer tracks, and spotted birds, a hawk, and some deer. One deer and I stood still a few yards away and stared at each other. Sigh. I love where we live. I came home to a warm home filled with noisy, beautiful children who I love.
Something I'm thankful for today is my eyesight. Looking at all the white snow makes all the spots that I have in my eyes really visible. When I was younger, we found out I had a condition called ocular toxoplasmosis. I probably contracted it when my mom was pregnant with me, and if so, I'm lucky to not be blind or have many other serious side effects from this parasite. In my teens it came out of its dormant state, and I saw spots everywhere. The doctors were very concerned because it was in my direct line of vision. I went on some pretty heavy medications to try to force it into dormancy again. My eye doctor often invited other eye doctors to come in and look into my eyes while they were dilated, because they found it so interesting. Each week I went back in. I was told numerous times that I should never have children, because they could die, be mentally handicapped, etc. Later, in a two separate blessings, one when it became active during my first pregnancy, I was promised that there would be no lasting effects from this disease. Somehow I was able to take that promise, and rely on it heavily and believe it completely while I went on to have nine healthy children. Today while looking at all the spots that I see floating around (these spots are from the scar tissue), I thought about how different my life would have been if toxoplasmosis had taken my vision. And I said a prayer about how grateful I was that I can see. And I enjoyed all the beautiful sights on my walk.

3 comments:
Wow- it is so easy to take things for granted sometimes! Being able to see is a wonderful blessing. So glad you ignored that advice and had your amazing 9! Congrats on your hcg numbers this week!
Beautiful pictures of 2013, and 2012. Thank you for the comments. Also, thanks for posting the pictures of Aliysa. No lack of self esteem there. Thanks for all your posting. We really enjoy them. Love You, Mom & Dad
Tasha, Your faith and spirit are always such an inspiration to me. Thanks for always reminding us that we have so much to be grateful for and how wonderful life really is!
Lots of love to you and your family
Post a Comment