We saw this owl on a walk recently - he was in our next door neighbor's yard, just a few yards from the road. This isn't a great picture, but he was sitting on this branch, and then his head turned all the way around to look at us. Then he turned his head back around before flying away. A few nights later we saw two different owls. One swooped down right in front of Courtney's face while we were walking. I think owls are the neatest birds, and I love it when we see them.
We've also seen a mother deer in our yard several times, with her triplet fawns. Triplets are quite rare, I wish I could get a picture. They are so little that they still have spots. I saw them in our neighbor's yard a couple of days ago, while I was driving past. They started to run, but one of the fawns got a bit confused about which way to go. It was so cute - the mother turned around, ran around the fawn, and nudged it with her nose to get it going in the right direction. She looked a little frazzled to keep three little fawns all together. It warmed my heart to see her concern for her little ones.
Jace was exploring the wooded lot across the street a couple of days ago. He found a spot where he could sit and read his Louis L'Amour book. Then he noticed that there were some moose tracks and droppings near him, and he thought they looked fresh, so he decided to see if he could track a moose. He followed tracks, and sure enough, ran into a moose near a little pond. It ran away, and he tracked it and found it again. Then he came back to the house, swaggering, and proudly informed me that he had just tracked a moose. How cool is that, to be able to pause from reading a Louis L'Amour adventure, and go track a moose? He definitely has some sort of strange gift for being able to spot wildlife. It's uncanny how many times he is the one to spot moose, deer, etc.
2 comments:
Thanks for the pictures and updates. The beginning of school, the football, birthday, walks,and the wildlife are all great. Love y'all, Mom & Dad
I really hope your children have some appreciation for their wonderful upbringing in such an amazing outdoor setting. I hope they realize that it is an extremely rare experience that they are having!
Post a Comment